For many years, the Sunshine Coast Healthcare Auxiliary (SCHA) has administered this program in collaboration with Vancouver Coastal Health. Our mission is to help support secondary students in volunteering at Sechelt long term care facilities. Junior volunteers, under the direction of the facility’s activity coordinator, work with residents by reading with them, playing games, helping with electronics, setting up birthday parties and any other activities that may be helpful to them.
This program would suit students who are reliable, interested in pursuing a career in healthcare, and are comfortable working with older adults with various physical and mental challenges. Students will receive training from the activity coordinator before beginning their volunteer work.
Long term Care Facilities:
- Totem Lodge (attached to the Sechelt Hospital)
- 2 South (extended care wing of the Sechelt Hospital)
- Shorncliffe Village Intermediate Care Home (5847 Medusa St)
- Minimum 15 years of age
- Attending Secondary School
- Parental approval
- Completed application form
- Completed Criminal Record Check
- Letter stating reasons for wanting to volunteer
- References: from a teacher and a non-relative who has known the student for at least two years
- Brief in-person interview
With 50 volunteer hours completed, junior volunteers, who wish to pursue a career in healthcare, can qualify for a $2,000 Sunshine Coast Healthcare Auxiliary post secondary bursary.
Interested students should contact:
Coordinator, Junior Volunteer Program
Sunshine Coast Healthcare Auxiliary